2nd try...

Friday, July 9, 2010 |
i know you all remember this post about how gorilla glue ruined my 4th of july. (made me so mad!) to answer a few questions, no it didnt stick to the table. and yes i had to pull my sewing machine off of the paint sticks.
i had to wait for the winds out here to stop blowing (seriously, we are talking tornado strength winds!) so i could spray paint.
i did do a few things different. first, i HAD to use 13 sticks for stripes. my cub scout was pretty firm on that. and we dont want a cub scout upset.  after spraying some red and white, i HOT GLUED the extra sticks to the back.
next, i masked off part of the sticks to paint the tops blue.  i lined up the bottom of the sticks so they were all straight, but the tops are a little uneven. but i wanted it that way.
 
i got out one of my favorite toys, my cricut, and cut out the words 'oh beautiful for spacious skies' out of some music paper. then i modge podged it all on.THE FINAL PRODUCT!
i did use some soda cans for the stars and the kids ran them thru the corrudator to get them all wavy like that. i also hot glued those on, because i dont trust gorilla glue.
and you all who said it would be an awesome project if i re-tried it were right! i love it!













Beyond The Picket Fence 
The DIY Show Off

17 comments:

Kelli W said...

That is really cute! I love the stars!

Jingle said...

That looks really cool! What a great idea!

Laree said...

This made me laugh! I saw your first attempt last week. I'm so glad you got an awesome version out of it!

Life in Rehab said...

I think this design is better than the original anyway.

Debbiedoos said...

Well after all is said and done, this looks fantastic! Shh.....I hate gorilla glue, the stuff stinks, and takes hours and hours to dry, then it looks like a gorilla foamed at the mouth...but don't tell anyone I said that out here, they love the stuff!

Connie said...

That turned out great. I love the corrudated stars. Thanks for the tip and the tutorial.

Tausha said...

Fabulous! You are oh so much better than I. I would have scrapped the project after the first time.
Have you ever tried gorilla glue epoxy? I LOVE this stuff. Can't say that I have ever had it swell. I use it all the time!!
The flag is darling. I am thinking that I need to dig out my plaint sticks!
Thanks for the inspiration and the laugh-you are pretty funny. I loved the comment about the cub scout.
Please, stop by sometime and say hello!
Happy Weekend!

Unknown said...

I love it!

Kenzie said...

Love the flag! I really like the stars on it!

mle said...

How very clever to use paint sticks! Glad you didn't scrap it cuz it looks great!!

Kori said...

Such a creative idea using paint sticks! I think it turned out awesome!

Sheri@childmade.com said...

Paint stirrers -- how clever! Sorry about the bad experience, but your second one turned out great. Thanks for sharing ... I've posted a link. I would love if you joined my link party some time!

Unknown said...

What a thrifty DARLING IDEA, love it! Thanks for linking too. Jenn

Swedie said...

Great idea... and easy to find the materials (paint sticks). What is a "corrudator"?

Stephanie said...

Way to "stick" with it! It looks beautiful, so clever.

Its So Very Cheri said...

You've been featured on Its So Very Cheri. check it out and grab your FEATURED button.
If you have any posts that use one of our sponsor products at www.diyclubinc.com, you should enter, the prize package is AWESOME.

Cheri

Sharon@Keen Inspirations said...

Hey! We've both been featured at Cheri's! I'm so sorry I missed getting Miss LadyBug to the party! Oh well, she's happy in the garden!
Sharon@Keeninspirations

Newer Posts Older Posts Home