my momma steph

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 |
i once worked in the display department for a department store named 'the bon ton' back when i was young. we had a ton of fun and steph, sharon, kathi, bob, dave and i were pretty good friends. there were some 'issues' when we hired a new girl who liked head banger music, and i had a bad habit of catchng things on fire (BY ACCIDENT).
but we were a pretty happy family.
anyways, thanks to the magic if facebook, steph and i are back in contact! she is just as fun/weird/funky as ever.
i should talk, i refer to her as 'momma steph'.
anyways, with mothers day...here...i made her cute little pin. i hope she sees this post because im certain it wont get there in time. that way she can look at the photo until it finally shows up!
i started by using some zippers from my friends summer trash pile. yup, a pile of jeans that was headed to the trash before i begged for them.
ripping zippers out of jeans isnt all that easy or fun. but i didnt want to head to the store. which i ended up going to anyways for the buttons. (i got them from the dollar tree. and since there are a whole page of them, i can make more!)





i sprayed the buttons with a spray paint made for going over plastic. that isnt so much to do with my thought process as much as the fact that i was out of primer and didnt want to go to the store. the second coat of paint was just regular black.
i broke the zippers in half (so there were 2 strips, like on a jacket) and with hot glue, i made a little flower out of the zipper halfs. the one that i started with i cut the fabric off until the teeth started because i thought it looked better.
and of course it did.
the middle was missing something so i broke the little handle off of the zipper zipper (wtfreak is that part called?) and glued it to the middle.
so there you go-something funky for my funky momma! someday i will post photos of some of the stuff she made me.
as long as you remember it was the late 80s/early 90s and fashion was a little bit different.
i mean really, george michael wasnt gay and whitney huston could still sing back then.
happy mothers day momma!
All Thingz Related












Life in the Pitts











CreativeShareWednesdays
Photobucket







Transformation Thursday
Beyond The Picket Fence

giveawaysJoin us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up party!




19 comments:

That Girl said...

Wow! You are so creative!! I can mimmick, but not so great at coming up with ideas on my own. You're awesome!

Ruth Solter said...

BA- So crafty!! Love it. BTW- I think it's called the tab or zipper pull.

the thrifty ba said...

thank you ruth! i was having a brain cramp when i was posting this! (as usual!)

Summer Miller said...

I have to say that when I saw the supplies I was a bit worried. It turned out GREAT!!!!!

Jennifer Juniper said...

I love it, and using the button as a base really helps!

Unknown said...

Now that is pretty crafty! I love the idea!

rebecca @ older and wisor said...

I hope you're keeping the rest - those are adorable!!

Serendipity said...

How great to reconnect with a friend...

Fun zipper craft!!!

Laura said...

These are so darling! Love it!

seven thirty three said...

Gotta love a great zipper flower!

Thanks for linking up with Sugar & Spice.

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans said...

cute zipper flower! Love it! :)

Sachiko said...

Wow, you are one creative women! I have been eching to try zipper flower. Yours look so nice!

Kendra Goodrich said...

Very cute, great idea!

Sawdust Girl said...

That is cute! I never would have thought of using a zipper and button in that way but I like it!

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Fun and funny, what is that thingy called?? I love your blog and I am now a follower. I am a newbie and would love some followers or would be honored if you would just take a peek at my new blog filled with DIY, tip, tricks, and secrets!
thepolkadotcloset.blogspot.com/ Thank You so much Carol

Kendra @ Domestic Princess in Training said...

So cute! I know your mom will love it!

Happy Friday to ya!

Kendra “Domestic Princess in Training

Unknown said...

This is so cute! Love it!
Thanks for sharing @ Anything Related!
{Rebekah}

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

I love the little leaf you added to the zipper flower--what a sweet gift. Thanks for linking up!

Brenda said...

I love it! That is so cool! I found you from Tip Junkie!

Thanks for sharing! I will have to try it!

Brenda
Deck The Halls of HOME with JOY!

Newer Posts Older Posts Home