reading is fun-damental!

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 |
my aunt trish teaches at a title 1 school. actually, if there was a rating below this and the school wasnt closed, that is what it would really be. and she chose to work here.
i joke about being poor because i cant shop at nordstroms evey week. but these kids cant afford to shop at walmart.
at all.
she brings peanut butter and bread to school incase they didnt have breakfast. or if they wont have dinner. there are times when she has sent 4 or 5 sandwiches home because her student has little siblings who wont eat that night.
so needless to say, books arent a top priority in most of these homes. and with english being a second language, these kids need books.
and now that i have funk-ed you all out, let me remind you that these kids have MY AUNT as their teacher! she is there for them, and when they are presidesnt of the united states or a hair dresser, the ceo of apple or a teacher...when they grow up-they will thank her for believing in them.
as the end of the year grows close, she is finding a book for each and every kid in her class. i decided to make book marks for all these kids. because what good is a book with out a book mark? (and they are easy to ship)
i just went thru all of my scraps from the years and we all know how big that box can get! i cut each one 3" by 5". i cut some fuseable interfacing for the inside just to give it some body. then i went thru my ribbon collection (i save scraps from gifts, tags on clothes, everywhere) i folded the ribbon in half and just had them stick out the top. it made the bookmark look a little better than just a rectangle of fabric.
i zig-zaged the edges on all the book marks. (i have said before-zig zag is my FAVORITE stitch)
im know that the kids see the love i put into them, and the belief aunt trish has in the kids.
so in 20 years when you see an article or an interview and that young person thanks mrs vadden, you will know who they are talking about.Photobucket im linking to the little brown house, santas gift shoppe
 



Life in the Pitts

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great idea! Thank you for sharing!

That Girl said...

I think your aunt is a saint! This post brought me to tears - probably because I'm HUGELY pregnant and my hormones are crazy, but this post was endearing none-the-less.
Super cute bookmarks!

Ela@NewFamilyOnTheBlock.com said...

What a fantastic story!! Your aunt is a great lady and kudos to you for making the bookmarks. The kids will remember you as well =)

http://lifeinmypjs.com

Summer Miller said...

They are cute. I am glad that they not only have Aunt Trish but you as well. You're continually helping out with little projects.

The Polka Dot Closet said...

What a wonderful aunt and how good it must make you feel to send some thing for our future leaders!

Stephanie said...

What a fabulous story! Your Aunt...what a sweetie:)
Lovin the bookmarks too!

Sharon@Keen Inspirations said...

I am grateful for people like your Aunt! Kudos to her!...and to you for helping out. The book marks are cute!
Sharon@Keeninspirations

Angie said...

Love this story behind the making of these awesome bookmarks! I just came to see your bookmarks from "show your stuff party" and happy I did! Beautiful story!

Ann @ makethebestofthings said...

Love you, love our aunt! We are a family of book lovers and appreciate all you are doing to pass on that seed of interest to these kids. Books can open up whole new worlds for them.

Anne Maskell said...

You and your aunt are special people to help these kids. I followed you from weekend wrap up!

avisiontoremember said...

I love all those colors! I have a link party that I would love if you participated! it is on saturdays www.iamonly1woman.blogspot.com

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

Anything to promote reading is a great thing. These are more than great because they are cute too!

La-Dee-da crafter said...

I am making these for my book club ladies. Thanks for the inspiration. I am visiting from Life in the Pitts.....creationsbyladeeda.blogspot.com
God bless your aunt. I have a very good friend that has also chosen to teach at a school like that for 13 years.....special people.
I enjoy your blog.

Helena said...

Wow, your Aunt sounds like an amazing person. And I bet the kids will love these.

Thank you for participating in the Creative Therapy session at Life in the Pitts!

Newer Posts Older Posts Home