Buona Pasqua! (happy easter to all you americans)

Friday, March 12, 2010 |

so many things to love about easter! the most obvious is spring is right around the corner. but you also have my birthday (38 days people). an the real reason why easter is celebrated...easter bread. (ok, that is a joke!)
if you havent had easter bread (cosuppa), well then i feel sorry for you.
this is one of the best breads ever! ok-and i will say it-it rivals jeansoyke bread!
which, when you think about it, it really isnt a fair contest. being that this bread IS italian and all.
i remember growing up and rolling the dough on the table at nana's home. i also remember the adults getting to eat it with breakfast with their coffee/tea. but the kids had to eat a real breakfast first.
let me put this out in the universe right now-
if my kids want easter bread for breakfast-
they shall have it!
(the top photo is of my cousin jackie, she was maybe 5 or 6, rolling the dough on nana's table. you can see some of the bread resting on the counter. the bottom photo is of her now with snookie from the show 'jersey shore'. she has grown up quite a bit.)

1 package Rapid Rise yeast
1.25 cups scalded milk, cooled to room temperature
pinch of salt
1/3 cup butter, softened
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup sugar
3.5 cups flour-maybe more, maybe less
1 egg, beaten with 1 teaspoon of water

in a large mixer bowl, combine yeast, warm  milk, salt, butter, eggs and sugar. add about half the flour and beat until smooth with dough hook. (fyi-this will get really high in your kitchen aid mixer!)
add the remaining flour to form a stiff dough. just keep adding until the dough is not sticky anymore. keep mixing is smooth (like silk my great grandma used to say) with either dough hook attachment. im sure you could knead by hand, i remember nana doing that. put in a greased bowl, cut a cross on the top of the bread with a knife cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about an hour. (the whole cutting a cross in it is from my greatgrandma, and although im no longer catholic, i have done that. im NOT messing with tradition!)punch dough down, divide into 12 pieces. roll each piece to form a 1 inch thick rope about 12-14 inches long and, taking three (or 2) pieces, braid. you can make a circle or just lay in a loaf.  you can also put an egg (UNCOOKED) in it. (ok, summer, it WILL cook while the bread is cooking. trust me!)
place on a greased baking sheet. cover and let rise until double, about an hour again. brush each bread with beaten egg wash. n the middle of each bread ring, gently place an Easter egg, making an indentation with the egg. the egg needs to be UNCOOKED. (ok, summer, it WILL cook while the bread is cooking. trust me! i know how you are!)
bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. let cool.
we always ate with a layer of thick butter. mmmm....
DISCLOSURE! this isnt one i made! i found this photo of the interwebs.



The Trendy Treehouse

6 comments:

Rachelle said...

Oh I love that bread!

Had to laugh at Snookie.. That's my guilty pleasure show. shhh

Rachelle

Mom2fur said...

I haven't had one of these in years! I might just give it a try this year. And thanks for the reminder to use raw eggs, LOL!
BTW, I marvel at anyone who has the patience and strength to knead bread by hand. I don't know what I'd do without my Kitchenaid, LOL!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Thanks for the recipe. I might try to make that!!! I hope things are going well for you my friend!

Thanks so much for linking up to my party! I really appreciate it!

XOXO
Jen

Jessa said...

With how little time there is on Easter morning with all that goes on this is a great idea... we may be starting a new tradition! Thank you!

angelina said...

your bread looks great!

Linda@CraftaholicsAnonymous said...

Hey girl,
That looks like some killer bread! I will def have to try it out! I'm so glad you joined the Easter Roundup!
Happy Easter!
Linda

Newer Posts Older Posts Home